Alva Beach is located at the end of a spit of sand immediately north of the shifting mouth of Plantation Creek.
The beach is 15 km north-east of Ayr, and has been the site of the Ayr Surf Life Saving Club since 1926. Also known as Lynchs Beach, conditions vary considerably depending on the condition of the Plantation Creek entrance. At times it is located south of Alva Beach and the beach is exposed to 0.5 to 1m waves. These produce a 50m wide high tide beach fronted by an irregular beach and bar, with many holes and rips. Waves tend to arrive from the south-east and run up the north-east facing beach, thereby producing a northward current.
Tidal currents in Plantation Creek can also flow close to shore. Under these conditions, extreme care should be taken at all times. When the Plantation Creek mouth extends across the front of the beach, the outer spit can block off the beach, forming a quiet lagoon, with a long walk or wade out to the spit required to reach the surf. It is best to carefully assess the prevailing conditions at Alva Beach because of the potentially highly variable surf and swimming conditions. Check with the surf lifesavers or talk to the locals it you are at all unsure. Only swim between the flags when the patrols are operating.
In 1926 the Ayr Surf Life Saving Club opened its first clubhouse at Alva Beach.
The first building was donated by the Kalamia Mill (sugar mill) after a former employee had tragically drowned. His workmates rounded up 37 pounds to give to his family who in turn forwarded the money to the club to use for a memorial for their son. It was used to start a surf life saving club. In its inception the club was known as the Donaldson and Lower Burdekin Surf Lifesaving Club and became affiliated with the head centre of the SLS of Australia in Sydney. Later its name was changed to the Ayr SLSC.
The club prospered and became an integral part of the community, but WWII took its toll on the club with numbers drastically falling. The spirit never died, however, and the club now has a stronghold of families that have kept the club alive and thriving. The club has a shady picnic area with barbecues and a playground. It has generated its fair share of champions in all fields and with the beach’s changing sand dunes every day is different!
1-9 Sandowns St, Alva, QLD, 4807