In an emergency, call TRIPLE ZERO (000)
Alcohol & Swimming
Some people might look to consume a few drinks while enjoying their day at the beach, but it’s important to understand that swimming while under the influence of alcohol is a recipe for disaster.
Alcohol not only impairs your judgement, but also significantly slows your reflexes – a dangerous, and potentially deadly, combination when it comes to the surf.
THE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL
- Prompting you to take unnecessary risks, while overrating your ability in the surf
- Adversely impacting your ability to identify and manage dangerous situations
LACK OF COORDINATION & REACTION TIME
- It may affect your senses of sight, sound and touch
- It may take you longer to react due to a decrease in brain response and ability to process information
INABILITY TO CONTROL TEMPERATURE
- Overheating may result, due to dehydration and unawareness of sun exposure
- Hypothermia could also result depending on conditions
Our Clubs & Beaches
Explore Queensland’s world-famous beaches and visit the life saving clubs that patrol them to keep the public safe.