North Kirra Beach
North Kirra Surf Life Saving Club is the newest on the beach, having been established in 1949 to patrol this beach.
The surf club is located on a narrow reserve in front of Pacific Parade. It is also fronted by a continuous seawall which, during erosion periods, becomes exposed a few hundred metres south of the club house.
This beach erosion has resulted in the construction of seawalls and groynes and results in massive beach nourishment work being required every few years.
Swimming conditions vary along the beach. At Bilinga and North Kirra rips are less frequent than at the north end of this stretch of coastline, but a deep trough usually parallels the beach with an associated current often sweeping north past the groyne.
North Kirra SLSC
North Kirra is a prosperous club with over 350 members which prides itself on its professionalism while maintaining a friendly atmosphere.
North Kirra Surf Lifesaving Club was formed in 1949 following concern due to the lack of a surf club between Kirra and Bilinga. Consistent growth saw the establishment of the North Kirra Supporters’ Club in 1987, which was built in the club’s recreation room. The bar committee, led by Chairman Bruce Bevan, unofficially opened the bar in November 1986.
Shortly thereafter Nippers commenced at the club on Sunday mornings and within one season, the club was hosting Nipper carnivals with North Kirra Nippers competing.
The successful formation of the Nippers Club brought about a new interest in the club from local residents, through their children becoming Nippers, hence the parents gravitated to the senior club, with many of them becoming bronze holders and assisting with patrols.
North Kirra Beach
Pacific Pde (End Lang St), Bilinga, QLD, 4224