In 1934, a few young men from Brisbane decided to get together and form a Life Saving Club at Amity Point on Stradbroke Island. The venture ran into some difficulties due to lack of support, and when the subsidised boat fare was withdrawn, they decided to change their venue to Broadbeach, after an approach from Harry Bruce (MLA) and an inspection of the beach.
In the 1963/64 season a “new clubhouse” committee was formed and a proposal submitted to the South Coast Council. This was approved and construction started in the following season. The new clubhouse was officially opened on 10th September 1966.
Surf life saving continued to grow throughout the 1970’s but it had always been a male dominated activity. It wasn’t until 1980 that female members were admitted as active members of Surf Life Saving Australia. However, Broadbeach wasn’t in a position to accept female members until suitable accommodation could be provided. Plans for further extensions to the clubhouse were submitted to Council in the 1981/82 season and construction was completed in the following year.
Broadbeach Surf Life Saving Club celebrated it’s 50th anniversary in October 1984. A reunion was held at the clubhouse with many past members attending.
In the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, the clubhouse was redeveloped into a modern structure catering for various needs. Some characteristics of the old clubhouse remain with dormitories (for both male and female members) storage for gear – rescue boards, IRBs “Rubber Duckies’ etc for patrol; competition gear including surf boards and surf skis as well as the club’s competition surf boats and modern function facilities.
While the view of the ocean hasn’t changed, the current clubhouse is a far cry from the 1930’s when that dedicated group of young men from Brisbane chose Broadbeach as the one spot on the Gold Coast to patrol.