Top lifesavers announced for South Coast Branch
Volunteer surf lifesavers from Point Lookout to Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park have been recognised at the annual Surf Life Saving South Coast Branch Awards.
Peter Anderson from Surfer’s Paradise SLSC was named Volunteer of the Year for his outstanding dedication to the movement.
Throughout the past season Peter has volunteered 387 hours keeping swimmers safe on Gold Coast beaches, including assisting with dawn and jet ski patrols
SLSQ Gold Coast Lifesaving Services Supervisor Nathan Fife said the awards highlighted the dedication of volunteers from across the region.
“The nominations received for each award highlight the dedication of all lifesavers in the region who give up their time to keep our beaches safe,” he said.
“I would like to congratulate all award winners and thank them for their contribution to lifesaving throughout the region.”
Mr Fife said the future of lifesaving was in good hands with Cash Krywenko being awarded Under 14 Surf Lifesaver of the Year.
“Cash is an enthusiastic and committed young member of Southport SLSC,” he said.
“Over the past season since gaining his Surf Rescue Certificate he has volunteered for more than 80 hours assisting with patrols and providing water safety for nippers.”
Denis Cahill (Miami SLSC), Evan Thomas (Miami SLSC) and Stephen Owen (Mermaid AEME SLSC) were awarded Life Membership of South Coast Branch for their outstanding contributions.
Point Lookout Surf Life Saving Club was named South Coast Branch Surf Club of the Year, recognised for their tremendous commitment to keeping beachgoers safe.
Award winners will now go on to represent the branch at the Surf Life Saving Queensland Awards of Excellence held in Brisbane on September 25.
Winners for Point Danger Branch, which covers clubs from Rainbow Bay to Tallebudgera, will be announced on 31 July.
The 2020/2021 South Coast Branch Award winners are:
- U14 Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Cash Krywenko, Southport SLSC
- U18 Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Alicia Kilmartin, Southport SLSC
- Youth Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Dylan Chapman, Miami Beach SLSC
- Junior & Youth Development Club of the Year – Broadbeach SLSC
- Under 11-15 Champion Club – North Burleigh SLSC
- Andy Frizzell OAM OBE Award for Services to Junior Activities – Peter Josefski, Point Lookout SLSC
- John Hayes’ U17 Champion Patrol Team – Point Lookout SLSC
- Open Champion Patrol Team – Northcliffe SLSC
- Robin Donchi’ First Aid Room Competition – Surfers Paradise, Northcliffe and Miami Beach SLSC
- Pat Kelly’ Patrol Efficiency Award – Point Lookout SLSC
- George Hill’ Patrol Efficiency Award for Most Improved – Point Lookout SLSC and Broadbeach SLSC
- Steve Owen’ Surf Lifesaving Club of the Year – Point Lookout SLSC
- Junior Athlete of the Year (U11-U14) – Milla Jansen, Northcliffe SLSC
- Youth Athlete of the Year (15-18 years) – Jamie Perkins, Northcliffe SLSC
- Athlete of the Year – Georgia Miller, Northcliffe SLSC
- Masters Athlete of the Year – Tiarne Smith, Northcliffe SLSC
- Sports Team of the Year – U19 Board Relay, Southport SLSC
- Sports Team Manager of the Year – Sue Walton, Northcliffe SLSC
- Sports Rookie Coach of the Year – Taine Bishop, Southport SLSC
- Volunteer Coach of the Year – Melinda Jackson, Northcliffe SLSC
- Professional Coach of the Year – Zayne Hamill, Surfers Paradise SLSC
- David “Sandy” Sandilands’ Official of the Year – Kylie Innes, Northcliffe SLSC
- Trainer of the Year – Rodney Goodall, Southport SLSC
- Assessor of the Year – Lisa Maddison, Surfers Paradise SLSC
- Volunteer of the Year – Peter Anderson, Surfers Paradise SLSC
- Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Melinda Jackson, Northcliffe SLSC
- Barrie Crichton’ OAM Presidents Award – Denis Cahill, Miami Beach SLSC
- Clive Hammond OAM Medal – Melinda Jackson, Northcliffe SLSC
- Junior Activities “Nipper” Club of the Year – Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park and Surfers Paradise SLSC
- Community Education Program of the Year – Albatross Nippers, Nobbys Beach SLSC