North Queensland's Top Lifesavers Announced
Etty Bay SLSC member Gregory Worth was named North Queensland’s Surf Lifesaver of the Year for his dedication to keeping beaches safe. He is Vice Club Captain as well as a patrolling member, age manager, coach and mentor to younger club members.
Gregory’s son Kodi Worth (Etty Bay SLSC) was named Under 14 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year, the youngster has already clocked up more than 30 volunteer hours after completing his Surf Rescue Certificate in September 2020.
Ingrid Van Opzeeland from Port Douglas SLSC was recognised as Volunteer of the Year for her longstanding dedication to the movement.
Ingrid has given 12 years of service as Club Secretary and manages club sponsorship, uniforms, Nipper BBQ’s and maintenance. For the past year she has also ensured all club activities comply with Covid-19 regulations.
SLSQ North Queensland Regional Operations Manager Jennifer Rees said the awards highlighted the commitment of volunteers in the region.
“I would like to congratulate all award winners and thank them for their dedication to lifesaving over the past year,” she said.
“These awards are an opportunity to showcase just some of our amazing members who are committed to ensuring our beaches are kept safe.”
Award winners will now go on to represent the region at the Surf Life Saving Queensland Awards of Excellence held in Brisbane on September 25.
North Queensland Branch Award winners are:
- Under 14 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Kodi Worth, Etty Bay SLSC
- Under 18 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Kye Yeabsley, Cairns SLSC
- Youth Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Zara Chauvin Hartmann, Cairns SLSC
- Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Gregory Worth, Etty Bay SLSC
- Junior Athlete of the Year – Summer Tottman, Cairns SLSC
- Youth Athlete of the Year – Jackson Rogers, Cairns SLSC
- Masters Athlete of the Year – Irene Cats, Port Douglas SLSC
- Official of the Year – Fiona Grant, Cairns SLSC
- Sports Rookie of the Year – Catherine Bissett, Cairns SLSC
- Sports Team of the Year – Under 23 Boat Crew, Etty Bay SLSC
- Trainer of the Year – Annabel Grant, Cairns SLSC
- Assessor of the Year – Mathew Williamson, Ellis Beach SLSC
- NQB Andy Frizzell OAM OBE Award – Blaise Cini, Etty Bay SLSC
- Volunteer of the Year – Ingrid Van Opzeeland, Port Douglas SLSC
- Clive Hammond OAM Silver Medal – Jennifer Jones, Etty Bay SLSC