23-25 November 2018
UQ SLSQ Leadership Excellence Program
What is the UQ SLSQ Leadership Excellence Program all about?
As part of an exciting new partnership between The University of Queensland (UQ) and Surf Life Saving Queensland (SLSQ), the UQ SLSQ Leadership Excellence Program will be conducted annually to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to advance as a leader within their club, branch and state.
Today’s volunteer surf lifesaving leaders must negotiate a maze of relationships, networks and expectations in order to effectively lead in the surf lifesaving environment. Leadership demands innovation, creativity, negotiation, improvisation and strategic vision – we aim to bring this out in you.
Who can apply?
Active Senior Members aged 18-30 years who have been identified as future leaders within surf lifesaving, and have an eagerness to develop themselves personally and professionally. Applicants must also:
- Hold a proficient Bronze Medallion
- Be financial club members that are in, or aspire to, a leadership role
Why should I apply?
The Leadership Excellence program aims to:
- To create an inspiring, supportive, safe and learning environment for program participants;
- To realise the intelligence, skills and experience that all program attendees can contribute to the program;
- To develop inspired leaders with a heightened awareness to modern communication strategies, and provide key connections that engender a robust support network;
- To create a new group of “agents of change” that understand the importance of organisational sustainability and who can confidently and strategically lead their club to be sustainable for the future.
Want more Information?
Download the information booklet here
When and Where?
The 2018 Program will be run from the 23-25 November 2018!
Applications are now open for members:
Applications will close for the Leadership Team on 10 September 2018 and for participants on 18 September.
LEADERS AND MENTORS:
Looking for more information on the role of Leaders and Mentors to see if you have what it takes, download them via the SLSQ Member App.
I am more confident and ready to take on a leadership role within my club. Had a really good time. I am so happy I had the chance to come. I will implement what I have learned in my club. – Megan
Good speakers – engaging; great way to meet new people; and good to learn about other clubs. I learnt ways that each member can make a difference within the organisation.
The UQ SLSQ Leadership Excellence program is a great place to meet like-minded enthusiastic and motivated Surf Lifesavers from all around the state. I have already used the DISC profiling that we were taught at the LEP in my club’s latest Bronze Medallion course to help other lifesavers to understand different personality types and reduce conflict situations. At the LEP, I was inspired to keep furthering myself and busy with my IRB Crewpersons and IRB Drivers Trainers qualification. I also aim to complete my Bronze Medallion Assessor’s Award when the next course is available. I will definitely recommend the LEP to other members at my club! – Callum – Northcliffe SLSC
NAMING RIGHTS PARTNER