Irukandji jellyfish cause an initial minor skin sting followed 5-40 minutes later by severe generalised muscular pain, headache, vomiting and sweating. These symptoms are sometimes referred to as Irukandji Syndrome.
All jellyfish stings north of Agnes Water should be doused with vinegar and the casualty to remain out of the water.
- Remove casualty from water if safe to do so
- Commence first aid as required (DRSABCD)
- Call for help – dial triple zero (000) for an ambulance
- Promptly administer CPR if required
- Treat the sting – douse the area liberally with vinegar for at least 30 seconds