Usually minor skin burning, occasionally more severe. Usually, multiple raised welts with saw–tooth pattern and surrounding red flare.
All jellyfish stings north of Agnes Water should be doused with vinegar and the casualty to remain out of the water.
- Remove casualty from water if safe to do so
- Commence first aid as required (DRSABCD)
- Wash area with seawater (not freshwater)
- Place the sting area in hot water for 20 minutes (no hotter than the casualty can comfortably tolerate)
- If local pain is unrelieved by heat or if no hot water available, apply a cold pack or ice in a dry plastic bag
- If pain persists and sting area is large or involves sensitive areas (e.g. the eyes) dial triple zero (000) and seek assistance from the lifesavers/lifeguards if available