Water Safe Schools Program
WATER SAFE SCHOOLS IS A SURF LIFE SAVING QLD INITIATIVE TO HELP PRIMARY SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN STAY SAFE IN, ON AND AROUND ALL TYPES OF WATERWAYS BY LEARNING VITAL WATER SAFETY SKILLS THAT THEY WILL KEEP WITH THEM FOR LIFE.
The program is water based and designed to be fun, engaging and a great way to educate students on the important aspects of water safety, whilst also increasing their skills and confidence in the water with a variety of water safety and lifesaving techniques.
This program will support the Queensland Government initiative for schools to provide a water safety and swimming program in Prep to Year 6 as it is aligned to the Draft National Swimming and Water Safety Framework.
Prep to Year 6
3 to 5 hours with 30min-1-hour class rotations
School or public pool
The program includes:
– Water Skills – entry and exit techniques, underwater skills, floating, sculling, treading and survival skills.
– Rescue Skills – reach and throw rescues, tube and board rescues.
– Patient Care – recovery position, DRSABC & intro to CPR.
Surf Life Saving Queensland will supply the following resources:
- Qualified staff (proficient lifesavers) including a supervisor.
- All equipment required by SLSQ Staff to conduct the program.
- All resuscitation and first aid equipment to be used if needed.
- Extra supply of sunscreen and shade.
- Aquatic Safety and Risk Assessment Management Logs.
(Please note – Queensland state schools are required to complete the relevant Curriculum Activity Risk Assessment (CARA) record prior to this activity. Details can be found here https://education.qld.gov.au/curriculum/school-curriculum/CARA/activity-guidelines/swimming-in-pools)
PARTICIPANTS NEED TO BRING
– Sun safe and beach appropriate clothing that allows them to get wet.
– Water bottle
– Sunscreen to be applied before commencement of activities.
Will depend on the # of students, how long the program runs for and how many sessions are required. Approx. $5-10 per student per session.
This program can also be funded by the Australian Government Sporting Schools initiative.
Head to www.sportingschools.gov.au to register your school and apply for Surf Life Saving.
For questions or to book please email: email@example.com or call 07 3846 8000.