Initial pain or itchiness, small raised white welals surrounded by bright red swollen area.
All jellyfish stings north of Agnes Water should be doused with vinegar and the casualty to remain out of the water.
- Remove casualty from water if safe to do so
- Commence first aid as required (DRSABCD)
- Remove any adhering tentacles
- Wash area with sea water (not freshwater)
- Place the sting area in hot water for 20 minutes (no hotter than the patient can comfortably tolerate)
- If local pain is unrelieved by heat or if hot water is not available, apply a cold pack or ice in a bag
- If pain persists or is generalised, or if the sting area is large or involves sensitive areas (e.g. the eyes), dial triple zero (000) and seek assistance from lifesavers/lifeguards if available